Friday, August 29, 2008

1973

The year was 1973, August 29th. Jonathan was born in Hermiston, Oregon. He was so cute! Like every other baby of mine, I fell instantly in love.
We had only been in Hermiston for a little over a month. This was the year that I went out and bought a whole bunch of ripe peaches and decided we were going to learn how to can them. It is also when we found out that Nanette was really allergic to peaches! Don't know if you guys remember much about living there because it was only about 8 months before I got transferred again.
Anyway, on another note, a very dear friend of ours passed away and we attended her funeral today. You may remember at my 60th birthday party she was the chinese woman who sang "happy birthday" to me in chinese. She was only 58 years old and was diagnosed with cancer about 10 months ago. She was a close friend of Wanda's.
Gonna end this now.
Love you all, Dad

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh yes, Hermiston. I remember when Jonathan was born. And the house we lived in and the boys I had crushes on. And my friend Stacie - who I'm still friends with today and set her up with her husband!
Now the peach thing - can't really remember that. It seems like Nanettes lips swelled up???
Sorry to hear about your friend!
Love you!

Nanette Hirschi said...

I also remember Hermiston well! I do remember the "peach problem". I also remember the school, friends faces and memories but not names. Hermiston is where my love for horses started. I drew pictures for hours. I remember Jon being born. I remember getting sick, going to the doctor, getting pills, and mom getting mad at me because I didn't know how to swallow them and I was too afraid to try:) But my most vivid memory was my teddy bear hamster, Deryl smashing it and you shooting it outside. So tramatic for a 4th grade girl!! I do remember your friend. I am sorry to hear about her passing. Cancer is such a "mean" disease...Love you too dad!